Priyanka is set to assume bigger role in UP politics ahead of polls
New Delhi: Priyanka Gandhi Vadra , daughter of Congress President Sonia Gandhi, is all set to make her foray into the active politics with coming Uttar Pradesh assembly elections. Priyanka, for the first time on Monday, stepped into the war room of Congress and closeted with senior party leaders from UP for about one and a half hour before sneaking away without speaking to media.
The active role of Priyanka had been in the wish list of Congress' poll strategist Prashant Kishor (PK) from the beginning with an aim to boost the prospects of beleaguered Congress in the state and it was his planning which would be executed in a big way, the party sources indicated to Newstrack.com. Till now, her role was limited to Lok Sabha elections in Rae Bareli and Amethi, the parliamentary constituencies of Sonia Gandhi and her brother Rahul Gandhi respectively.
Expanded role of Priyanka
- According to party sources, she will have the direct involvement in ticket distribution, poll strategy and post-poll scenario.
- She is likely to launch herself in a big way from Allahabad on November 19,the birth anniversary of her grandmother late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
- The date of her launch,however, may be changed.
- As per the initial feedback, the party thinks that free hand to Priyanka may boost the fortunes of the Congress.
Priyanka's campaign plan
- According to initial indications, the party may organise her elections rallies and road shows at about one hundred places.
- She will try to strengthen the organisational structure of the party in UP beside exploring the possibilities of poll-alliances.
- Monday meeting at AICC HQs
- The meeting in the war room was attended by UP affairs in charge Ghulam Nabi Azad, UP Congress Committee President Raj Babbar, Chief Ministerial candidate Sheila Dixit and campaign committee chairman Dr Sanjay Singh.
- The meeting discussed the success of Rahula's recent road shows and possibility of alliance with Non-BJP parties.
- The suggestions of joint rallies with others were also given in the meting.
It is resolved that the party should have an open point of view with regards to alliances.
- Rahul, however, had spoken against the alliance six months ago.
Priyanka's new avatar
- It will be the first time when Priyanka will be seen in the decision making position.
- The further strategy of the party's campaign will be formulated only after Priyanka is launched.
Strategy viz-a viz Samajwadi Party
- Priyanka will also take a call with regards to Congress' relations with Samawajdi Party in Uttar Pradesh before UP polls.
- Rahul and Akhilesh Yadav may have appreciated each other but the political equations are different.
- In the wake of SP's infighting, priyanka has been suggested to be careful about relations with SP.
- Congress will concentrate on about 150 assembly seats in order to have its say in government formation in UP.
PM giving ‘lollipop’ by announcing schemes in haste: Mayawati