Minor girl slits wrist after teacher compares her with ‘prostitute’
Lucknow: In a startling incident in the state capital of Uttar Pradesh,a class 10th girl slit her wrist after her teacher ridiculed her modest background by comparing her with a prostitute.
The girl’s family had complained about the incident but they were turned back by the school administration. Newstrack.com took up the matter and helped the family to file a complaint with the Mahila Samman Prakostha (MSP).
What is the case?
- The 14-year old girl is a student of Awadh school which is located in Vipul Khand of Gomti Nagar.
- Her father is poor and is paying daughter’s fees with the help of a NGO.
- From the time of admission, school management and teachers are being biased against the girl.
- Few days back, her English teacher gave a dictionary in girl’s hand asking the meaning of prostitute and brothel.
- The class 10th girl told the meaning of the words.
The girl’s father accused the teacher of making a derogatory comment for her daughter.
What girl’s father said?
- After asking the meaning of those two words, English teacher said to my daughter that she is a prostitute and has made the whole class brothel.
- The whole class started making fun of my daughter.
- My daughter was left so humiliated that she chose to slit her wrist.
After the following incident, the daughter’s family admitted her to the Ram Manohar Lohia hospital.
Mahila Samman Prakostha Inspector Satya Singh said the investigation regarding the matter is on and school management will be contacted to get the necessary details.
UP State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (UPSCPCR) chairperson Juhie Singh said, “an incident about the Awadh school and a little girl has been brought to the notice of UPSCPCR. We have asked the Awadh school for an explanation and will also meet the girls family and the NGO who was involved in this whole issue so that the best interests of the child is preserved.The younger sister of the child also studies in the same school.