Kanpur Metro Rail project to be started soon, KDA approves
Kanpur: The Metro Rail project in Kanpur, the largest industrial city of Uttar Pradesh, is all set to be started soon. A nine-member-team of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), led by Takaki Murakami, inspected the metro routes and yards on Thursday. Thereafter, the Kanpur Development Authority (KDA) raised the green flag for the metro rail project.
Town planner of KDA said that after seeing the proposed rail route, the team held discussions with district officials and reviewed the Detailed Project Report (DPR) through a multi-media presentation.
- The installation of metro track support structure will begin following a DPR to be sent by the Japanese officials to the state government.
- The Japanese agency has shown keen interest in the Rs 13,000 crore Kanpur Metro Rail project and visited the city to assess the ground feasibility of their association with the project.
- The Uttar Pradesh government has already made a provision of Rs 250 crore for the project.
- The DPR, prepared by railway engineering consultancy company Rites Ltd. was handed over to the state government in November 2015 after which a sum of Rs. 50 crore was provided.
- The JICA Company is proposed to invest Rs 250 crore on the Kanpur Metro Rail project.