Ballia Protest: UP CM suspends DM, SP over BJP worker's death
Lucknow: Taking stern action in the killing of a man in police firing, the Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday suspended Ballia District Magistrate (DM) and Superintendent of Police (SP) for laxity.
It is to be mentioned that a suspected BJP worker was booked for cattle smuggling after police seized a truck carrying three cows and two calves on Friday morning. A local party MLA Upendra Tiwari staged protest against the police action which turned violent. A supporter was allegedly killed in police firing.
What was the case?
- A police team led by Sub-Inspector Premshankar Upadhyay seized a truck carrying cows and calves at Mathia village on Friday.
- Driver along with one other person, suspected to be a BJP man Chandrama Yadav, had fled from the spot
- BJP MLA Upendra Tiwari alleged that police team forcibly brought cows and calves from Yadav’s house.
- They staged a protest outside the police station and demanded the release of the truck.
- Police said that BJP workers turned violent when they were asked to end protest.
- They started pelting stones on policemen
- SO, Narhi police station, Rajesh Yadav said that mob started firing when police used batons to disperse the crowd.
- Police retaliated to the raged protestors.
- BJP claims that Vinod Rai, one of the protestors died in police firing.
Meanwhile, BJP workers led by local MP Bharat Singh staged protest at NH-31 on Saturday afternoon against Rai’s death. They ended the protest after SO Rajesh Yadav was suspended.