Keshav Maurya: The journey from a tea vendor to 'Crorepati'
Lucknow: Coming from a family of tea vendor, Keshav Prasad Maurya, the newly appointed president of Uttar Pradesh unit of Bharatiya Janata Party, had to sleep hungry for many nights but now possesses assets worth rupees several crores.
Know his assets:
Keshav, according to the affidavit filed in the last Lok Sabha election, now owns a petrol pump, an agro trading company, and a trust Kamdhenu logistics.
- He is also the partner with his wife in Jeevan Jyoti hospital in Alaahabad.
- He has made a charitable trust—Kamdhenu Charitable trust for social service.
- His assets were worth Rs 1.36 crores in 2007 but soared to Rs 9.32 crore in 2014, a phenomenal rise of about over 700 per cent in seven years.
- Keshav has a debt worth Rs 2.43 crores.
- Keshav hails from Kasaya village of Kasuhambi district in Uttar Pradesh.
- His father was a tea vendor.
- He helped his father and also worked as a newspaper hawker.
- Several criminal cases under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) had been registered against him in the past.
- A charge sheet was filed against him in a murder case in the court. He is an accused of Maohammad Gaus murder case of 2011.
- A number of 11 cases are registered against him.
His political career:
- Worked for the Vishwa Hindu Parishad for 18 years.
- Joined BJP in 2002 and contested from the Allahabad West Vidhan Sabha seat.
- He lost the election to BSP candidate Raju Pal.
- He faced a defeat in 2007 UP assembly elections also.
- Keshav, won the Sirathu Vidhan Sabha seat in 2012.