Alld HC orders to release 4000 cusec water on bathing festivals
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Friday ordered to release 4,000 cusec water in Sangam, the confluence of pious river Ganga, Yamuna and mythical Saraswati, on every bathing festival during ongoing one month long Magh Mela in Allahabad of Uttar Pradesh.
The court has also asked the Commissioner and District Magistrate of Allahabad district to monitor this and present a report by March 15. The order was passed by the bench of Chief Justice D Y Chandrachud and Justice Dileep Gupta while hearing a Public Interest Litigation (PIL).
About the PIL:
- The Allahabad High Court took suo-motu cognizance on this old matter.
- The PIL was filed to make Ganga pollution free.
- Demanded to release the 4000 cusec fresh water on bathing festivals in Sangam.
What Government said:
- Advocate Ramesh Upadhyay appearing from the side of Uttar Pradesh government said that 27 runnels had been attached with the Sewage Treatment Plant(STP).
- The work of attaching 26 other runnels with STP was under way.
- A total of six main bathing festivals fall during the Magh Mela which comprised of January 14 and 15 (Makar Sankranti) ,January 23 (Paush Purnima), February 8 (Mauni Amavasya),February 12 (Basant Panchami),February 22 (Maghi Poornima) and March 7 (Maha Shivratri).