Supreme Court rejects PIL for CBI probe into Mathura violence
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected the Public Interest Litigation (PIL) seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into the Jawaharbagh violence at Mathura in Uttar Pradesh.
The two-judge bench ,comprising Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghosh and Justice Amitabh Rai ,heard the case filed by senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Ashwini Upadhyay.
Here are the reasons:
- CBI probe cannot be ordered in every matter.
- The probe from central agency will be ordered only when government fails to do it.
- The petitioner should have first gone to the High Court.
- The police have gone there on the order of High Court.
What petitioner said?
- The probe is important keeping matter in view.
- He even levelled charge of destroying the evidence.
- The petitioner had produced media reports as evidence.