Sterilisation drive to check population of monkeys in Agra
Agra: Annoyed over the growing numbers of monkeys in Taj city of Agra, a novel initiative has been launched to sterilise them in order to check their population which,if not checked, could be tripled in a year according to an estimate.
The tourists and the locals have been complaining of the monkeys menace since last sometime which led to this as a 'pilot project' in which the monkeys will be sterilised by scientific methods.
Setting a target of 500 monkeys, the specially formed teams have already sterilised 55 monkeys, out of which 15 were female.
- The project is being undertaken by Agra Development Authority(ADA) and a NGo 'Wild Life SOS"
- A dedicated team of veterinary doctors is formed for the purpose.
- Specially built cages have been placed at thre places to catch them.
- The process of sterilisation is painless, according to Dr Baju of Wild Life SOS
- It will drastically help reducing the monkeys menace in this tourist city.
- If pilot project is succesful, it will be further expanded.