WI Vs Ind, 2nd Test: Match Preview
Jamaica: An innings win behind them coupled with awe inspiring form of their leading batsman Virat Kohli and main strike bowler Ashwin , the Indian team have every reason to be upbeat when they face West Indies in the second cricket test match of four-match series at Sabina Park , Jamaica on Saturday.
The stadium, which is witness to the WI pacers carnage in 1976 when almost half of the side was on the injured list, will have the different Indian side with the hosts are likely to be on the receiving end. Virat, a thorn in the flesh of Windies bowlers, is in the killing form since last IPL in India. The support of other in-form batsmen and the consistency of bowlers have made life tougher for the Caribbeans.
- Skipper Kohli is enjoying some sweet time with the bat and has remained unstoppable with his form.
- After scripting a record-making 200 runs knock, Virat has become an inescapable affair for the Caribbean bowling.
- Playing as a unit, each player is sporting its part.
- Whether it is Ashwin or Amit Mishra, both have contributed in securing the 1st Test win with both bat and the ball.
- Promoted in the batting order, Ashwin has all the ingredients of becoming an international all rounder.
- He has lived up the expectations of Indian coach Anil Kumble and skipper Kohli by scoring a ton and bagging 7 wickets.
- Opener Shikhar Dhawan is also looking in midas touch with responsible 84 runs knock in the first Test.
- While Pujara, Rahane and Vijay are among those batsmen who are yet to perform in the 4-Test match series.
- Pujara, however, has scored just two half-centuries in his last ten Test innings.
- Indian pacers Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma and Umesh Yadav are in midas touch and have bowled attacking lines, upsetting up WI batsmen.
- The young West Indian bunch looks weaker in front of dominating India.
- In all the departments including batting, bowling and fielding Caribbean's are struggling to deliver.
- Team revolves around Kraigg Braithwaite who played a lone warrior in the first encounter.
- Eyes will also be on Devendra Bishoo, Shane Dowrich, Marlon Samuels and Carlos Braithwaite who have given some fine performances.
- 19-year old bowler Alzarri Joseph will join the 13-member West Indies team.
With India being the dominant side, West Indies will play former in the second Test match from July 30. India is leading the 4-Test match affair by 1-0.
West Indies Squad:
Jason Holder (c), Marlon Samuels, Leon Johnson, Darren Bravo, Kraigg Brathwaite, Devendra Bishoo, Shannon Gabriel, Carlos Brathwaite, Shane Dowrich, Jermaine Blackwood, Miguel Cummins, Rajendra Chanrika, Alzarri Joseph, Roston Chase
Virat Kohli (c), Rohit Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Ishant Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Cheteshwar Pujara, Amit Mishra, Wriddhiman Saha, Stuart Binny, R.Ashwin, Murali Vijay, B. Kumar, Umesh Yadav, M. Shami, S. Thakur, KL Rahul
Also read: Bad news: Narsingh Yadav found positive in second dope test