26/11 terror attack: Mumbai pays homage to martyrs
On November 26,2008 ten terrorists entered into the heart of Mumbai creating havoc which took the lives of 166 people and more than 300 people were injured.
Mumbai: On November 26,2008 ten terrorists entered into the heart of Mumbai creating havoc which took the lives of 166 people and more than 300 people were injured. The attack left every Indian in fear and grief. In the memory of martyrs of 26/11 attacks, Maharashtra government, on Saturday, paid floral tributes to the gallant soldiers who lost their lives fighting for the tricolour.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis paid tribute at the 26/11 police memorial site at the Mumbai Police Gymkhana in south Mumbai.
Fadnavis said,"I pay homage to the brave policemen who fought for Mumbai's safety and laid down their lives for us on 26/11. We are proud of them and we will strive hard for safety and security of our state."
He further stated," We will strengthen police force with better equipment.It is our priority."
The black day 26/11/2008:
- On November 21, ten terrorists from Pakistan headed towards India through sea route.
- The attack began on November 26 (Wednesday) which lasted till November 29 (Saturday).
- The places targeted by the terrorists for the attack were Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, the Oberoi Trident, the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower, Leopold Cafe, Cama Hospital, the Nariman House Jewish community centre.
- More than 150 people lost their lives including 16 officers.
- Properties worth crores were damaged during the attack.
The series of attack was carried out by the members of Lashkar-e-Taiba.
Ajmal Kasab was the only terrorist who was captured alive. He was hanged four years later on November 21, 2012.
Newstrack.com pays tribute to the martyrs of 26/11 attacks.