Resorts World Manila hotel, casino attacked by masked gunmen; many injured
Manila: A few masked gunmen launched an attack at the Resorts World Manila in Philippines around early hours of Friday, leaving several guests of the hotel and the casino injured.
According to the eyewitnesses, the masked gunmen attacked the hotel and somehow broke into the casino of the hotel.
The international media sources claimed that police had already reached at the location and some parts of the hotel were on fire.
Witnesses said they heard somebody shouted "IS". There were reportedly two masked men armed with long guns.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet, but Rita Katz, director of Site Intelligence Group, which tracks extremist propaganda, claimed that a Filipino operative of the Islamic State had said "lone wolf soldiers" were responsible.
Armed police were deployed around the casino, prompting the officials to lockdown the resort.
Social media was abuzz with pictures showing plumes of smoke emanating from the Resort World Manila, which is close to the city's airport.
Resorts World Manila is an integrated resort located in Newport City opposite the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 in Pasay City.
The Resorts World issued a statement after the shooting saying the hotel is "currently on lockdown following reports of gunfire from unidentified men."
"The company is working closely with the Philippine National Police to ensure that all guests and employees are safe," the statement read.
Some witnesses said they heard gunshots, so they hid in the bathroom.
With IANS Inputs