Mehbooba sworn in as first woman CM of Jammu & Kashmir
Srinagar: Mehbooba Mufti, the Chief of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has become the first woman Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir.
Ending 11 weeks of political stalemate, Mehbooba took oath as CM on Monday, along with 23 ministers, to form a government with the help of the BJP.
About Mehbooba Mufti:
- A law graduate, the 56-year-old Mehbooba entered into active politics in 1996 by joining the Congress along with her father Mufti Mohammad Sayeed.
- A mother of two daughters, she acquired an image of a fiery leader and won her first Assembly election as a Congress candidate from her home segment of Bijbehara in 1996.
- That was the time when militancy was at its peak in the state.
- She is also credited for the growth of PDP as she connected the party with common people, especially youth.
The situation now
- Heading a coalition government of two ideological extremes, she faces a challenging task ahead as she will strive to carry forward her late father’s ’healing touch’ legacy.