Measles outbreak reaches Sydney; health depts on high alert
Sydney: Health departments here in Australia on Wednesday are on high alert over the possible spread of measles.
On Tuesday evening, the health departments issued alert notices after it was revealed that two separate persons who have been diagnosed with measles, visited a number of highly populated public areas last week.
They warned the public to be aware of the potential symptoms for the deadly disease, including fever, tiredness, cough, runny nose, sore red eyes and feeling unwell, Xinhua news agency reported.
So far there have been around 12 cases of measles this year in Sydney, and 11 confirmed cases in Melbourne over the last two weeks, sparking major concerns.
Public health Director Michael Staff said, "People with measles symptoms should stay home from school or work.
"We recommend medical attention be sought, but if you or your child show these symptoms you should call the doctor before you go in so they can make arrangements to see you without the risk of spreading the virus."
Drop in vaccinations could be the main factor behind the current surge of cases, the authorities said.
with IANS inputs...