Manohar Aich dies at 104, West Bengal CM condoles
Kolkata: The first Indian Mr Universe Manohar Aich died here on Sunday at a ripe age of 104. He won the Mr Universe title way back in 1952 and was credited for introducing heavy weightlifting and body building.
- Manohar breathed his last at around 1430 hours at his home in Baguiati in Kolkata, said family sources.
- Aich had also contested the Mr Hercules contest at the age of 36.
- Manohar, fondly known as ‘Pocket Herculer’, due to his height that measured 4 feet 11 inches, began training when there were no gyms and fitness clubs in India.
- He was formally introduced to weight training by Reub Martin (his senior) when he joined the Royal Air Force in 1942.
- He also went on to win three golds in the Asian Games held in 1951 (New Delhi), 1954 (Manila), and 1958 (Tokyo).