Iranian billionaire Babak Zanjani sentenced to death
Tehran: Iranian billionaire businessman Babak Zanjani has been sentenced to death for corruption, justice officials said. He was arrested in December 2013 after accusations that he withheld billions in oil revenue channelled through his companies. He denies the allegations. Zanjani was convicted of fraud and economic crimes, a judiciary spokesperson said at a press briefing.
Two others were also sentenced to death and all were ordered to repay embezzled funds.The ruling can be appealed.
One of Iran's richest men, Zanjani had been blacklisted by the US and EU for helping Iran evade oil sanctions in place at the time.
- India reports 12,751 new Covid cases and 42 deaths in last 24 hours
- Maha cabinet expansion: 18 MLAs take oath as ministers
- No differences on portfolio allocation, says RJD as Nitish set to exit BJP alliance
- JioGames launches streaming platform "JioGamesWatch"
- NEET PG 2022: Counselling expected to begin from September 1, Supreme court refuses stay- Details here
- 'Deal Finalized' between Nitish Kumar-Tejashwi Yadav; BJP warns Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Monsoon Update: IMD predicts heavy showers in THESE states for next 4 days; check list
- UP politician Shrikant Tyagi, accused of abusing women, arrested in Meerut
- Melatonin For Children: Do you give THIS jelly to your baby?
- Sita Ramam: Did you know Pooja Hegde was the 1st choice as Sita not Mrunal Thakur in Dulquer Salmaan starrer?