In memory of 'Astronaut-Daughter of Nation', Kalpana Chawla
Lucknow: It is Kalpana Chawla's 13th death anniversary on Monday and Newztrack.com brings you some very interesting facts about the courageous Astronaut to make her immortal in your hearts.
Schooling and Education:
- Schooling from Tagore Bal Niketan Senior Secondary School, Karnal.
- Acquired bachelor's degree Aero Engineering from Punjab Engineering College.
- Migrated to United States in 1982.
- Completed her Masters in Aerospace Engineering from University of Texas.
- Did PhD in Aerospace Engineering in 1988 from University of Colorado.
- Began working at NASA Ames Research Center in
- Did a Computation Fluid Dynamics (CFD) research while working at NASA.
- Joined Overset Methods, Inc. as a Vice President and Research Scientist in
- She first flew on Space Shuttle Columbia STS-87 as a Mission Specialist in
- She was the first Indian-American astronaut and the first Indian woman on space.
- Travelled 4 million miles in 252 orbits of the earth logging more than 372 hours in space.
- Was selected for second flight as part of the crew in 2000 which began on January 16, 2003.
Kalpana died along with all six other crew members in the Space Shuttle Columbia on the ill-fated STS-107 mission on February 1, 2003.