Dreaded Mafia Brijesh Singh now a Member of Legislative Council
Lucknow: Mafia Brijesh Singh has won the election to the Legislative Council as independent candidate from Varanasi. Besides him, a dozen other persons with criminal background have gained entry into the UP assembly’s upper house.
Last year, the Governor Ram Naik had objected to the list of names sent by the State Government for nomination into the legislative council.
Brijesh Singh had contested the election from Varanasi central jail, however, he was shifted to Shahjahanpur jail on recommendation of the district administration. He had also contested the assembly elections in 2012 from Chandauli district. According to the affidavit submitted at the time of nomination, as many as 39 cases are pending against him.
A leader of the opposition party has said that the entry of such elements in the assembly shows the true colour of the ruling party.
Who is Brijesh Singh:
- Brijesh Singh, also known as Arun Kumar Singh, was born in Varanasi.
- His father Ravindra Singh was a popular personality and was also involved in politics.
- Ravindra Singh was murdered on August 27, 1984 in a village of Varanasi.
- Brijesh Singh entered the world of crime to avenge the murder of his father.
- He killed Harihar Singh, the alleged murderer of his father on May 27, 1985.
- This was the first case against Brijesh Singh in police records.
- Brijesh Singh fled to Mumbai to escape from the police and the gang of Muklhtar Ansari.
- Later, he came in contact with Dawood Ibrahim and joined his gang.
- They fell apart after the Mumbai bomb blasts which were masterminded by Dawood Ibrahim.