Brazilian courts ban nationwide access to WhatsApp services
Rio de Janeiro : A Brazilian judge on Tuesday, suspended the nationwide access to WhatsApp services accross the country, as the Brazilian police was unable to pull out some messaging data from the smartphone messaging app in an investigation.
WhatsApp, though hugely popular in Brazil, has clashed several times with Brazilian courts after introducing its new policy of end-to-end encryption.
“WhatsApp is blocked across the whole national territory,” a spokesman for the court in Rio de Janeiro stated.
The service, however, is still being used in the country. The WhatApp messaging continued to function in Rio shortly after the ruling was filed.
What the verdict stated:
The 19-page ruling said that Brazilian telephone operators must “immediately suspend” WhatsApp services. It had stated that continued non-compliance would lead to the Facebook company paying fine of 50,000 reais (US Dollars 15,265) a day.
- India reports 12,751 new Covid cases and 42 deaths in last 24 hours
- Maha cabinet expansion: 18 MLAs take oath as ministers
- No differences on portfolio allocation, says RJD as Nitish set to exit BJP alliance
- JioGames launches streaming platform "JioGamesWatch"
- NEET PG 2022: Counselling expected to begin from September 1, Supreme court refuses stay- Details here
- 'Deal Finalized' between Nitish Kumar-Tejashwi Yadav; BJP warns Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Monsoon Update: IMD predicts heavy showers in THESE states for next 4 days; check list
- UP politician Shrikant Tyagi, accused of abusing women, arrested in Meerut
- Melatonin For Children: Do you give THIS jelly to your baby?
- Sita Ramam: Did you know Pooja Hegde was the 1st choice as Sita not Mrunal Thakur in Dulquer Salmaan starrer?