New Delhi: Days after senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Maneka Gandhi praised her sister-in-law Sonia Gandhi, senior party leaders on Tuesday held a late night meeting to target the AICC President on the issue of bribes in the Augusta Westland chopper deal during the UPA regime.
The move of BJP has come in a bid to corner the main opposition party, which has been paralysing the Rajya Sabha on the Uttarakhand affair.
Top brass of the BJP including president Amit Shah and union minister Arun Jaitley reportedly met here to chalk out a strategy after media reports said that an Italian court, which has convicted Augusta Westland chief Giuseppe Orsi, has reportedly described how the firm paid bribes to top Congress leaders to bag the Rs 3,600 crore deal.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi was also present in the meeting.
- Congress would also be targeted on the controversial Aircel Maxis deal and the affidavits in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
The judgement of Italian court:
- Sonia Gandhi was described as the ‘driving force’ behind the deal by the court, according to media reports.
- Subramanian Swamy, is likely to rake up the chopper deal issue in the Rajya Sabha for which notice has been given.
- Senior leader Meenakshi Lekhi is expected to do the job in the Lok Sabhaon Wednesday.
- Similarly, the Ishrat Jahan case pot is likely to be stirred by Kirit Somayya in the Lok Sabha.
Keep yourself updated with latest news through Newstrack App. To download App from Google Playstore visit here - Newstrack App