Approx. 24 people were hospitalised after eating salads from McDonald
Washington: The multistate outbreak of intestinal illness, likely linked to salads from McDonald's restaurants, that affected over 500 people in the US with diarrhoea and nausea appears to be over, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said.
"A total of 511 laboratory-confirmed cases of Cyclospora infection causing diarrhoea and nausea were reported in people from 15 states and New York City who consumed salads from McDonald's restaurants," FDA said in a statement.
However, "as of September 11, the outbreak appears to be over," it added.
Cyclospora cayetanensis is a microscopic parasite of humans. When food or water contaminated by this parasite is consumed, it can cause an intestinal illness called cyclosporiasis.
The FDA, along with Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), investigated distribution and supplier information for romaine and carrots but did not identify a single source or potential point of contamination for this outbreak.
According to the CDC, 24 people were hospitalised but no deaths were reported.
Epidemiologic and traceback evidence indicated that salads purchased from McDonald's restaurants were a likely source of this outbreak, the report said.
In a statement on July 13, McDonald's voluntarily stopped selling salads at over 3,000 locations in 14 states. The company has since reported that it has replaced the supplier of salad mix in those states.
The Cyclospora symptoms included diarrhoea, with frequent, sometimes explosive, bowel movements, loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach cramps/pain, bloating, increased gas, nausea, and fatigue.
But, for some people who are infected with Cyclospora, there were no symptoms.
The health officials advised people with symptoms of cyclosporiasis to contact their health care provider.
- Melatonin For Children: Do you give THIS jelly to your baby?
- Sita Ramam: Did you know Pooja Hegde was the 1st choice as Sita not Mrunal Thakur in Dulquer Salmaan starrer?
- Yogi Adityanath govt announces Rs 25,000 reward for info on Shrikant Tyagi
- PV Sindhu saunters to maiden individual Commonwealth Games gold, completes hat-trick of CWG medals
- Grand Omaxe Society residents hail 'bulldozer baba' after action against Shrikant Tyagi's Noida residence
- Sensex gains 110 pts in early trade; Nifty above 17,400 in opening trade
- CLAT 2023: Registration begins today, here's direct link & how to apply
- Married couple to Get Rs 72,000 yearly pension by investing just Rs 200 per month, here's how
- Twinkle Khanna has an epic reaction to Ranveer Singh's nude photoshoot: The photographs seem underexposed
- Attention! Dangerous chemicals are dissolved in rain water