Allahabad HC sets aside order passed by DM against Varanasi MLA
Allahabad: Allahabad High Court on Tuesday set aside the order passed by DM Varanasi whereby MLA from Varanasi, Ajay Kumar Rai was booked under National Security Act (NSA). Rai had contested parliamentary election against PM Narendra Modi as a Congress candidate.
Allowing the petition filed by Rai, a division bench comprising justice Vikram Nath and justice Naheed Ara Moonis directed that Rai be set at liberty unless not wanted in some other case.
To recall, Rai had taken part in protest rally at Varanasi on the issue of immersion of idols in River Ganga and during the protest some violent incident had taken place. Subsequently, Rai was arrested and DM, Varanasi on October 13, 2015 booked him under NSA.
Challenging the NSA order his counsel Daya Shankar Mishra said that subjective satisfaction of the DM Varanasi was not real. Secondly, Rai was not provided documents as per constitutional provisions hence the detention was illegal.
- India reports 12,751 new Covid cases and 42 deaths in last 24 hours
- Maha cabinet expansion: 18 MLAs take oath as ministers
- No differences on portfolio allocation, says RJD as Nitish set to exit BJP alliance
- JioGames launches streaming platform "JioGamesWatch"
- NEET PG 2022: Counselling expected to begin from September 1, Supreme court refuses stay- Details here
- 'Deal Finalized' between Nitish Kumar-Tejashwi Yadav; BJP warns Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Monsoon Update: IMD predicts heavy showers in THESE states for next 4 days; check list
- UP politician Shrikant Tyagi, accused of abusing women, arrested in Meerut
- Melatonin For Children: Do you give THIS jelly to your baby?
- Sita Ramam: Did you know Pooja Hegde was the 1st choice as Sita not Mrunal Thakur in Dulquer Salmaan starrer?