5G Network: From Features to challenges, Here's all you need to know about
India's launch of 5G will speed- up India's economic growth by 13.8%. In addition to the lack of a stable government and its policies, India's telecommunications sector is also severely affected by procedural delays and a series of problems.
Information and communication technologies (ICT) are regarded as the key component to socio-economic development because they create new benefits and conveniences that were previously unavailable. Since the emergence of 4G wireless network services, people have been able to enjoy broadband services through mobile devices (such as smartphones and tablets), and the end user experience is almost similar to wired connections. Despite, these advanced 4G wireless network technologies, it is difficult to provide mobile services that require high speed, quick response, high reliability and energy efficiency.
The contemporary communication technology (4G/ LTE) network, is unable to provide the following advanced features:
• Instantaneous cloud services
• Palpable internet
• Enhanced vehicle -to- everything (V2X-this type of technology is used in vehicle to communicate with the moving parts of the traffic system around them.)
• Internet of the things IoT(network of the physical objects)
• To communicate with the drones and robots to ensure the quality mobile user experience.
• In addition, LTE networks cannot provide high-quality video to a ample number of mobile phone users at the same time.
Features of the 5G network
Forthcoming, 5G network is developing on the objectiveto accomplish the following aspirations of the communication industry:
• To provide unlimited data transmission.
• To connect a number of active connections simultaneously.
• To manufacture such type of a sensor oriented mobile devices that is powered by sustainable energy.
• To extend the use of 5G network in all spheres of the society that includes mobile , wearables devices, sensors, vehicles, robot sector and so on.
• To innovate not only the societies as well as Information and Communication Technology industries.
The International Telecommunication Union Radio communication Sector (ITU-R), the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) and the Next Generation Mobile Network Alliance (NGMN) have conducted studies on 5G services and their technical requirements :
• The technical requirement is also considered as a KPIs.
• The key performance indicators (KPIs) selected are the maximum data rate, regional bandwidth, network energy efficiency, connection density, latency, mobility, spectrum efficiency, and user-side data rate.
Launched in Different Countries
South Korea, China, and the United States are world leaders in the development and implementation of the 5G technology.
According to the state news agency , News Agency, the world's largest 5G network was put into operation on October 31, 2019 by China's three major network operators.
In 2019,after obtaining 5G licenses, China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom had deployed their networks in less than five months.Since September 2018, these companies have been using V2X technology( vehicle - to -everything ) that is used to test wireless communication between self-driving cars and their surroundings. The 5G network transmits data from vehicle sensors, road sensors, and road cameras to the data center that analyzes information and resend to the car to help them navigate.
In November last year, China stated that despite the COVID19 pandemic, based on the 100,000 base stations built in 2019, it has built more than 700,000 5G base stations in 2020, As the result, China is leading the way in rolling out 5G network.
The local South Korean news agency Yonhap News reported that, citing data from the Ministry of Science and Information and Communication Technology, as of March, there were 14.48 million 5G users in South Korea, compared to 7 million in May 2020.
In April 2019, the three major network operators SK Telecom, KT and LG Uplus across the country had launched 5G technology in large cities.
Still, these network providers are not successful in providing full fledged services of 5G network.
As Compared to the previous 4G LTE network, the quality of the 5G network has not been significantly improved, and it has shortcomings such as limited availability.
AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile are giant national 5G wireless networkproviders.
Since January 2020, 5G has been put into use in 50 cities in the United States.
• Sprint has launched 5G cellular networks in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Kansas City, Phoenix, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, DC.
• AT&T has provided its 5G + cellular network to consumers in 35 cities and 190 markets.
The Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) Spectrum Frontiers Order, is an independent U.S. government agency that oversees all interstate and international communications which has laid the foundation for the use of 5G technology in the United State.
In the United States, this process may be much slower because of the need to build additional infrastructure. Chinese operators will mainly use spectrum similar to those used by 3G and 4G, allowing them to reuse multiple existing equipment. According to Mike Murphy, who is responsible for the global development of Nokia's 5G technology, cellular sites, but in the United States, AT&T and Verizon plan to use less signal transmission radio frequency bands, which will require three to four times as many cellular network sites. 4G operators must sign contracts with each city to install these sites, and some of them have shown resistance.
Challenges in implementing, the 5 G network in India
• According to a report by the World Bank, India's launch of 5G will speed- up India's economic growth by 13.8%. In addition to the lack of a stable government and its policies, India's telecommunications sector is also severely affected by procedural delays and a series of problems.
• Poor infrastructure of optical fibre ,is a main cause of not implementing 5G network. Optical fibre is responsible for delivering increase data capacity and improve voice calling quality.
• Low speed data on high rate is also a big hurdle in the deployment of 5 G network in India.
• Failed Auction of 5G spectrum, due to high price is also responsible for pending full- fledged trials of 5G network in India.
• Deficiency in providing ,more space for installing towers and antennas to expand the 5G network connectivity.
• Unavailability of 5G network devices in the market.
Steps have been taken to expand India's 5G network:
• In India, 2018 Huawei and the telecom giant Airtel conducted the first test at the network center in Manesar, Gurgaon.
• Indian telecommunications company Bharti Airtel announced on Monday that it has established a strategic partnership with IT services company Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) to bring 5G broadband solutions to India.
• On the occasion of 44th annual general meeting ( AGM) , Reliance Jio has proclaimed that 5G network has achieved data speed of 1GB per second, as well as tested trials sites in Navi Mumbai after getting necessary regulatory approvals by the telecom ministry ,where as Intel corporation has also joined hands with Reliance Jio to do the ground work of the deployment of 5G technology in India.
Stay tuned with the newstrack to get fastest updates. Click @englishnewstrack to follow us on Facebook and @newstrackmedia to follow on Twitter.