Virat Kohli and Smith are on same path in career: Ricky Ponting
New Delhi: Former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting on Monday said both Virat Kohli and Steve Smith are on same phase in career. He said Virat is skilled and talented player and he feels the same for Smith.
“England's Joe Root and New Zealand captain Kane Williamson are also on same stage,” said Ponting.
Punter said that it will be all about mind game and whoever among them will go with it well, would be on top of the table while ending up their career.
What else Ricky Ponting said:
- Virat has got the attitude to be the best he can be for his country and Smith is also in the same boat.
- I don't really care who the better between Kohli and Smith is as long as they are playing well.
It could be mentioned here that Virat has hit 37 International tons while Root, Smith and Wiliamson have struck 18, 20 and 21 centuries respectively.
On comparing Virat with Indian Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar, Ponting said:
- Indian Tests skipper is too young in his career to make any comparison with Sachin. Let’s wait for Virat to finish his career.
- If he gets a bad injury tomorrow, and not playing, so there is no comparison.
- Sachin played 200 Test matches while Virat has just played 60-70 matches.