Mahendra Singh Dhoni steps down as captain of ODI, T20I teams

Shobhit Kalra
Published on: 4 Jan 2017 3:38 PM GMT
X

Mumbai: Mahendra Singh Dhoni, on Wednesday, stepped down as the skipper of Indian cricket team from both ODI and T20 formats, the move which came as a shock for the entire nation and the cricket fraternity.

Dhoni, however, will be available for the selection for the ODI and T20 series against England and the same has been conveyed to the Senior Selection Committee.

The 35-year-old had already retired from Test cricket in December 2014 but continued to lead Team India in the shorter formats of the game.

"Mahendra Singh Dhoni has informed the BCCI, that he wishes to step down as the captain of the Indian Cricket Team from the One Day Internationals and the T20 Internationals formats of the game," a statement from the board read.

Dhoni, who made his international debut in 2004, had captained India to 110 wins from 199 ODIs and 41 wins from 72 T20Is.

Although the next captain was not announced, but Virat Kohli, currently leading the Test team, is the likely front-runner to replace Dhoni.

Contributions of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, fondly known as Mahi:

- Dhoni led India to the International Cricket Council (ICC) World T20 title in 2007.

- India won the ICC World Cup in 2011 under the captaincy of MS Dhoni.

- Dhoni was leading the team India when it lifted the Champions Trophy in 2013.

- Dhoni took team India to the zenith of the Test rankings during his tenure.

- Dhoni became the first Indian wicket-keeper to hit a double ton in Tests when he smashed 224 in the first Test at Chennai, the best knock of his career.

- Dhoni became the most successful Test captain for India by surpassing Sourav Ganguly's record of 21 Test wins.

- Dhoni also became the first Indian captain and third overall to win 100 ODI matches.

Shobhit Kalra

Shobhit Kalra

Writer has 10 years of experience in digital media. Presently working as Chief Sub Editor at newstrack.com. An avid reader and always willing to learn new things and techniques.

Next Story