India congratulates Paralympics medal winners Thangavelu and Bhati
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated Mariyappan Thangavelu and Varun Singh Bhati for winning gold and bronze medals in Paralympics at Rio, respectively.
The Prime Minister tweeted, "India is elated! Congratulations to Mariyappan Thangavelu on winning gold and Varun Singh Bhati for the bronze at the Rio Paralympics."
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 10, 2016
Mariyappan Thangavelu created history by winning a gold medal in the men's high jump T-42 event at the Rio Paralympics, while Varun Singh clinched the bronze medal for the same event.
Thangavelu won the medal with his best jump of 1.89 metres, while Bhati's best effort of 1.86 metres helped him in winning the bronze.
The silver medal for the event went to USA's Sam Grewe who also managed to reach the same mark of 1.86 metres.
India congratulates the winners:
- Olympic Champion shooter Abhinav Bindra took to twitter to welcome Thangavelu to the gold medal club while congratulating the duo for their outstanding performance.
- Sports Minister Vijay Goel also heaped praises on the duo. He stated, "Congratulations to Mariyappan Thangavelu for winning Gold & Varun Singh Bhati for winning bronze in Men's high Jump at Rio." The minister said "It is a big achievement and I am very proud of our athletes."
- Rio Olympics bronze-medallist Sakshi Malik congratulated the Indian high jump winners on twitter. She said that the two are an inspiration for other athletes. "Indian sports mein prerna ki kami nahin hai (there is no dearth of inspiration in Indian sports). Congrats Mariyappan Thangavelu aur Varun Bhati aapke gold aur bronze ke liye. Paralympics," she tweeted.
- Bollywood’s superstar Amitabh Bachchan also congratulated the duo. "Never seen anything more inspirational than this, Big B posted on twitter.
- Beijing Olympics bronze-medallist boxer Vijender Singh said, he hoped that the two athletes would also be accorded the same honours that were bestowed on Olympic medallists PV Sindhu and Sakshi Malik.