Top

Harbhajan Singh Clarifies About Withdrawn of his Name From 'Khel Ratna' Nomination

Harbhajan Singh on Saturday cleared the air and said that he was the one who had asked them to withdraw his name. In a series of tweets, Harbhajan said that he is not eligible for the award, which is the highest sporting honour in the country.

Shivani Arora

Shivani AroraBy Shivani Arora

Published on 19 July 2020 8:16 AM GMT

Harbhajan Singh Clarifies About Withdrawn of his Name From Khel Ratna Nomination
X
This bowler rotates arm five times before bowling, Harbhajan Singh says ‘Better version of me’
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print

Best spinner Harbhajan Singh clarifies over why the Punjab government withdrew his nomination from Khel Ratna award shortlist, India off-spinner on Saturday cleared the air and said that he was the one who had asked them to withdraw his name. In a series of tweets, Harbhajan said that he is not eligible for the award, which is the highest sporting honour in the country.

READ ALSO: BCCI Meet: IPL 2020 To Be Held In UAE, Conditions Apply

Harbhajan Singh:

Harbhajan Singh cleared the air over why his name was withdrawn from the Khel Ratna nominations by the Punjab government.

Addressing media outlets, Harbhajan, who has not played for the country since 2016, said that in order to make the award list, an athlete needs to show consistent performances over international waters in the last three years.

“Dear friends, I have been flooded with calls as to why Punjab Govt withdrew my name from Khel Ratna nominations. The truth is I am not eligible for Khel Ratna which primarily considers the international performances in last three years,” the 40-year old posted on his Twitter account.

Look at the Bhajji's tweet:

https://twitter.com/harbhajan_singh/status/1284400998052532224

“The Punjab Govt is not at fault here as they have rightly withdrawn my name. Would urge my friends in media not to speculate. Thank you and regards.

https://twitter.com/harbhajan_singh/status/1284401169352122370

He further clarified that his name was sent late last year. “Lot of confusion and speculation regarding my nomination for Khel Ratna so let me clarify. Yes last year the nomination was sent late but this year I only asked Punjab Govt to withdraw my nomination because I don’t fall under the 3-year eligibility criteria. Don’t speculate further,” he added.

https://twitter.com/harbhajan_singh/status/1284401990382923776

The veteran of 103 Tests and 236 ODIs has claimed 417 and 269 wickets respectively playing for India. He has also recently backed himself to come out on top in a one-on-one ‘skill’ battle with the best spinners in the country.

Stay tuned with the newstrack to get fastest updates.

Click @englishnewstrack to follow us on Facebook.

and @newstrackmedia to follow on Twitter.

Shivani Arora

Shivani Arora

Next Story