Gambhir, Jayant Yadav join Indian team for 2nd Test against NZ
Kolkata: The Indian Cricket Board on Tuesday included opener batsman Gautam Gambhir in the squad for the rest of the two Test matches to be played against New Zealand. He has replaced Lokesh Rahul who has been ruled out from the series due to injury in his right hamstring.
Off-Spinner Jayant Yadav also has been included in the Indian squad as the replacement of pacer Ishant Sharma who is down with Chikungunya.
Gambhir, who played Test last in August 2014, has returned to the Indian team after two years.
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Ajay Shirke said:
- BCCI medical team has confirmed KL Rahul’s injury.
- He has injury in his right hamstring.
- Ishant Sharma, who suffered chikungunya, is still unfit.
- Ishant missed the first Test at Kanpur and he likely will miss the next Test match at Eden Gardens.
- Off Spinner Jayant Yadav will replace him in the Indian cricket squad for the next match.
Meanwhile, India will take on New Zealand in the second Test Match at Kolkata’s Eden Gardens stadium from September 30.
India took the lead 1-0 by winning the first game against Kiwis.