Rio 2016: Indian archer Bombayala Devi enters pre-quarter finals
Rio de Janeiro: Against the crop of disappointments, Bombayala Devi emerged as a new ray of hope for India to win medal in the ongoing Rio Olympics after she qualified for the pre-quarter finals in the archery event on Wednesday.
Bombayala defeated Austria’s Laurence Baldauff by 6-2 and went on to defeat Lin Shin-Chia of Taipei by the same score. She has now entered the round of 16.
It may be mentioned that Laurence Baldauff had won the Silver medal in the last world championship.
The last remaining Indian women archer, Deepika Kumari, will feature in her Round of 64 event on Thursday.
Jitu Rai disappoints; fails to qualify for 50m Men’s Pistol final
Dismal show at Rio:
- Earlier, the women's hockey team tasted the second consecutive defeat.
- Australian team defeated India by 6-1.
- The only goal from the Indian side was hit by Anuradha Thokocham just eight seconds before the match ended.
- The Indian women's hockey team will have to win both the matches to be played against USA and Argentina to remain in the race for quarter finals.
Shooting and Judo:
- Indian shooter Jitu Rai finished 12th in the 50 metre pistol event and scored 554 points.
- He was knocked out the games.
- Another Indian shooter Prakash scored 547 points.
- He was ranked 25 out of 41 players.
- Judo player Avtar Singh was also ousted from the pre-quarter finals in the 90 kgs category.
- He was defeated by Misenga Popol of Refugee team.