Yogi – from Gorakhdham Peeth, Gorakhpur to Chief Minister residence, Lucknow
Lucknow: Yogi Adityanath, who was elevated to the post of Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh on Saturday, will be the second UP CM from Gorakhpur, Congress’ Veer Bahadur Singh being the first. Another coincidence is that like Veer Bahadur Singh, the new UP CM is also a Thakur but hailing from Uttarakhand.
The mahant of Goraksh Peeth in eastern Uttar Pradesh district of Gorakhpur, had been elected to Lok Sabha five times from Gorakhpur parliamentary constituency before becoming 22nd Chief Minister of UP.
Incidentally, he was the youngest (26-year-old) member to make his debut as MP when he was elected to the 12th Lok Sabha in 1998 on Bharatiya Janata Party ticket from the Gorakhpur constituency. Considered to be a fire-brand hardliner Hindu leader, he had been among the controversies on several occasions through his statements.is the new Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
Not many know that Yogi Adityanath, born in Uttarakhand, was originally named Ajay Singh Bisht. He was given this name after by his spiritual father Mahanth Avaindyanath at the age of 22. He became Mahant of the Gorakhnath Mutt following the death of his father in September 2014.
- 1998: Youngest member to be elected to the 12th Lok Sabha at 26 years' age
- 1998-99: Member, Committee on Food, Civil Supplies, Public Distribution and its Sub-Committee-B on Department of Sugar and Edible Oils; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Home Affairs
- 1999: Re-elected to 13th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 1999-2000: Member, Committee on Food, Civil Supplies and Public Distribution; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Home Affairs
- 2004: Re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha (3rd term) Member, Committee on Government Assurances; Member, Committee on External Affairs; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Home Affairs
- 2009: Re-elected to 15th Lok Sabha (4th term); Member, Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture
- 2014: Re-elected to the 16th Lok Sabha (5th term) from Gorakhpur constituency
Controversies linked to Yogi Adityanath:
- In January 2007, an altercation occurred amidst a Hindu group and Muslims during a Muharram procession in Gorakhpur which led to the hospitalisation of a young Hindu.
- In 2005, Adityanath allegedly led a 'purification' drive for conversion of Christians to Hinduism.
- Yogi Adityanath also warned that those who oppose yoga can leave India.
- He also compared Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan to Pakistani terrorist Hafiz Saeed.
- Yogi also said that should remember that majority population of the nation made him the Star, and if they boycott his films, he will also have to wander on streets.
Criminal charges against Yogi Adityanath:
- Yogi has been charged in some serious criminal cases including rioting, attempt to murder, armed with deadly weapon, endangering life or personal safety of others, unlawful assembly, trespassing on burial places and criminal intimidation.