Tips to keep elders refreshed during intense summer | Check
New Delhi: Elderly family members are the most important part of a happy home. It should be the prime responsibility of younger generations to take care of them when the weather becomes a problem.
As summers have arrived and the temperature has already crossed 40 degree celsius mark, here are some tips which will help you in keeping your elders refreshed:
- Let your parents or elders go outside when it might be little cooler.
- Try exercising at a gym, walking on a treadmill or mall walking instead of outdoor walks or activities.
- Swimming is a good option as well.
- Never leave them in an enclosed vehicle.
- Keep curtains closed during the heat of the day.
- Ask them to drink plenty of fluids (non-alcoholic and caffeine-free as these ingredients have a diuretic effect).
- Consume foods and drinks that contain sodium and potassium to restore electrolyte balance when losing fluids.
- Broths or soups contain sodium, fruit juice, soft fruits, vegetables containing potassium, sports drinks that contain electrolytes, are some options.
- Check the air conditioning system, do maintenance review. If electricity goes out, consider alternative arrangements when heat is at dangerous levels.
- Be aware of signs of dehydration, heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Make them wear a hat if you will be out in the sun.
- Keep a check on their diet as it should be well-balanced, light and regular.