Priti Mahapatra; an enigma for Rajya Sabha aspirants in UP
Lucknow: Who is Priti Mahapatra? Though unknown in political circles of Uttar Pradesh but her name has upset apple cart of many Rajya Sabha aspirants simply because her presence in the arena will necessitate the election instead of 'unopposed' election to the 11 seats of upper house of the parliament from the state.
The ruling Samajwadi Party has fielded seven candidates, Mayawati-led Bahujan Samaj Party two and Congress one hoping the Bharatiya Janata Party would field one candidate but the possibility of fielding her as independent but BJP-supported candidate has created a flutter among other candidates. The nomination form in her name had already been purchased and she is likley to file her candidature on Tuesday, the last day of nomination for RS.
Who is Priti Mahapatra?
- She is wife of a Gujarat businessman Harihar Mahapatra, considered close to BJP.
- She herself is a businesswoman running a NGO Krishnaleela Foundation.
- The Foundation is active mainly in Gujarat, Maharashtra and Odissa towards 'toilet mission'.
- It came in the limelight following construction of ten thousand toilets in Navsari district of Gujarat.
- Her political equation is based on remaining seven legislators of BJP, one rebel legislator of SP, one legislator of a small party and also remaining 12 legislators of BSP.
Why BJP is backing priti Mahapatra?
- BJP wants to spread a message of party's wave if she wins on BJP support.
- The saffron party wants to expose other parties by cross-voting.