TRENDING TAGS :
UP Polls Phase 3: BJP, BSP field 21 candidates each with criminal background
Lucknow: The pre-poll analysis for the third phase of Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections claims that as many as 21 out of a total of 69 candidates from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and 21 out of 67 from the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) have been charged with criminal cases.
The ruling Samajwadi Party and its ally Congress have fielded 13 out of 59 and five out of 14 candidates, respectively, with tainted background, while Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) is not far behind with five such candidates out of a total of 40, says a joint report released by the Uttar Pradesh Election Watch and Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR).
It may be mentioned here that the third phase voting will be held on February 19 and the fate of 813 candidates in 69 assembly constituencies spread across 12 districts will be decided.
- Out 813 candidates, a total of 110 have mentioned criminal cases against them in the affidavits submitted with the Election Commission.
- Out of 225 independent candidates, 13 have declared criminal cases against them.
- Out of the 110 candidates, 82 have been alleged of serious crimes including murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping and crimes against women.
- A total of seven candidates are accused of murder.
- BJP and BSP have 21 candidates each accused of serious offences.
250 out of 813 candidates are crorepati
- BJP has the most number of 61 multi-millionaire candidates.
- BSP has 56 such candidates whose moveable and immoveable assets worth several crores.
- Samajwadi Party has fielded 51 crorepati candidates, while its ally Congress has 7 such candidates.
- RLD, however, has 13 candidates whose assets amount to several crores.
- Meanwhile, 24 independent candidates are crorepati.