BJP will do in 15 months, what Congress couldn't do in 15 years: Modi
Imphal: Prime Minister Narendra Modi assured the people of Manipur of doing, within 15 moneths, whatever the Congress government couldn't do in past 15 years of its governance.
Calling the Congress government as inefficient and irresponsible, the Prime Minister stated, "I urge you to let BJP serve the people of Manipur. Just give us 5 years. You have given them 15 years. In 15 months, we will do what they have not."
The Prime Minister also said that the BJP will expose the corrupt face of the government that has ruled the northeastern state for more than a decade. "The corruption that took place in Manipur in last 15 years, we will expose everything," stated the PM.
The Prime Minister was addressing a rally in the capital city of Manipur ahead of the 60-member legislative assembly elections of the northeastern state that are to be be held in two phases on March 4 and March 8.
The election is expected to witness a strong competition between the ruling Congress and the BJP. While Congress has ruled the state for last 15 years, over the last six months, many senior Congress members, including ministers, have shifted their interest to the BJP.
The BJP, however, this time is contesting the polls without its key regional allies National People's Party, Naga People's Front and the Lok Janshakti Party. All its allies are contesting the election separately.
It could be recalled that that the situation in Manipur has been tense ever since the United Naga Council imposed an economic blockade, which has affected daily life in the state.
PM on Economic Blockade in Manipur:
- Whole sole responsibility of the economic blockade in the state lies with the Congress.
- The blockade shows their inefficient governance in the state.
- It is the responsibility of the state government to provide essential commodities to the people.
- Still there are economic blockades on the streets.
- People don't have grains. What kind of a government is that?
- I promise you if the BJP wins the elections here, we will not let any blockade stop the living necessities from reaching you.
- Those who cannot ensure peace in the state have no right to govern Manipur. They made brothers here fight each other
PM on accord of the state government with the Nagas:
- People talk about the accord with the Nagas. I want to ask the state government, were you sleeping for 1.5 years?
- We had informed about the accord with all details a year and a half ago. Now when the elections have been announced, they are spreading lies.
- I, standing on the holy land of Manipur, promise you that there's not even one word in any accord which is against the interests of Manipuris.
What else he said:
- The Congress representative has been sitting in Manipur for 15 years at the Chief Minister of the state.
- Manipur is considered as the Switzerland of East but the state is deprived of any development or employment for youth.
- Manipur has been destroyed, who's responsible?
- There has been no work done. All the Congress government has done is the communal politics.
- They have conspired to make one community fight with another and get benefit from it.
- This should end now.
- All communities spread across the state should equally benefit.
- When Morarji Desai was the Prime Minister, he came for an NSC meeting. I was the first prime minister after 40 years who came here for the meeting.
- Sikkim has developed at a fast pace after electing the BJP government but wherever there is Congress, no state is developing.