Piyush Goel gets railways, Defence goes to Nirmala Sitharaman
New Delhi: Breaking the patriarchy that was seen in the Defence Ministry, after Indira Gandhi, Nirmala Sitharaman has now become the new woman Defence Minister of India.
She will take a handover from Arun Jaitley on Tuesday after he returns from a visit to Japan.
Sitharaman's Commerce Ministry has been handed over to former Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu while Prabhu's ministry has been transferred to Piyush Goyal in a cabinet rejig that took place on Sunday.
Suresh prabhu indicates loss of portfolio:
Congratulating all the newly inducted ministers Suresh Prabhu on Sunday declared the loss of his Railway portfolio on his twitter handle.
"Thanks to all 13 Lacs plus rail family for their support, love, goodwill. I will always cherish these memories with me. Wishing you all a great life," Prabhu tweeted after a swearing in ceremony of ministers at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Prabhu, whose tenure as Railway Minister has seen several train accidents, was present at the event.
In slide ahead: Check out the portfolios allotted to the ministers...
Of the other two new Cabinet ministers, Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan got additional charge of Skill Development Entrepreneurship while Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi retained the Minority Affairs Ministry.
The three new Ministers of State with independent charge are R.K. Singh (Power, New and Renewable Energy), Hardeep Puri (Housing and Urban Affairs) and K.J. Alphons (Tourism, Electronics and IT).
The six new Ministers of State are Shiv Pratap Shukla (Finance), Ashwini Choubey (Health and Family Welfare), Virendra Kumar (Women and Child Development and Minority Affairs), Anantkumar Hegde (Skill Development and Entrepreneurship), Gajendra Singh Shekhawat (Agriculture and Farmers Welfare) and Satya Pal Singh (Human Resource Development, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation).
Suresh Prabhu, who lost his Railway portfolio, has been shifted within the Cabinet to the Commerce and Industry Ministry, earlier held by Sitharaman.
Nitin Gadkari, who was holding Road Transport and Highways and Shipping, will also head the Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Ministry.
Cabinet minister Uma Bharti, who lost the Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, is now left with Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- Nitin Gadkari gets additional charge of Ministry of Water Resources, River Development Ganga Rejuvenation.
- Hardeep Puri to be MoS Urban Development Ministry.
- Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore has been made MoS Independent charge of Sports Ministry.
- Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan also gets Skill Development and Entrepreneurship ministry.
- Alphons Kannanthanam is MoS (Independent Charge) Ministry of Tourism and MoS Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- Satyapal Singh is the new MoS for HRD ministry.
- Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar also gets Ministry of Mines.
- Arun Jaitley will keep Finance Portfolio & Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- Rajyavardhan Rathore is now also Minister (Independent Charge) of Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Vijay Goel will be MoS.
- RK Singh gets Ministry of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Power & Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- Vijay Goel will be MoS Parliamentary Affairs and MoS Statistics and Program Implementation.
- Ashwini Kumar Choubey gets MoS Health and Family Welfare; Anant Kumar Hegde appointed MoS Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- Giriraj Singh is now Minister of State (Independent Charge) Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
- Suresh Prabhu new Commerce Minister.
Check out the complete list of Cabinet Ministers in slides ahead:
Check out the list of MoS in slides ahead: