Drama in UP is yet to be over , Mulayam holds the key
Lucknow: The political crisis of government (not family), as Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had said on Wednesday, has yet to reach a logical end even as the scene has shifted to the base camp at Lucknow.
After doing the damage control exercise from Delhi,the ruling Samajwadi Party President Mulayam Singh Yadav, senior General Secretary Ram Gopal Yadav and effected party Shivpal Singh Yadav on Thursday reached Lucknow to diffuse the situation.
Ram Gopal Yadav met the Chief Minister Akhilesh, Shivpal met Mulayam and later Chief Minister while Akhilesh Yadav met Mulayam.
The final scene of this rather long drawn drama came to the fore when CM met Mulayam, for the first time since Monday when it all began. Indeed, it was a day of hectic parleys but the final verdict on the crisis has to come from Mulayam and that is awaited.
The day started with Ram Gopal Yadav, the senior party leader who looked staunchly in support of Akhilesh.
What Ram Gopal said?
- Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, who was also the state party President, should have been asked to resign before his successor was appointed in his place.
- Chief Minister has the right to take decision to change the portfolio of any minister.
- I agree to CM’s statement that no 'outsider' (Amar Singh in this case) should be allowed to interfere in party or government's matter.
- All is well within the party and Mulayam's word is final.
What Shivpal said
- I will do what I will be asked to do by Party Supremo Mulayam.
- Whatever Mulayam Singh Yadav asks me to do is a binding on me.
- Chief Minsiter has the prerogative to change the minister.
- Regarding 'outsider', everyone gives you the opinion but you need to filter that according to your wisdom.
- There is no crisis in the party or government.
Chain of events
- On June 21, Shivpal had merged Mukhtar Ansari’s Quami Ekta Dal (QED) and Samajwadi Party (SP).
- Opposing Shivpal’s step, Akhilesh had cancelled the merger.
- On August 14, Shivpal had raised the issue of brokerage and created a furore in political circle by saying that he would resign from the party if atrocities against deprived are not stopped.
- Party Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav had also held Akhilesh led Uttar Pradesh government responsible for this on Independence Day at party office.
- Shivpal had diluted the issue, saying ‘all is well within the party and Samajwadi family’.
- Shivpal had said no one including Akhilesh Yadav could stop the merger of QED-SP merger.
- Calling Akhilesh inexperienced, Shivpal had said that former is too young and learning politics.
- On September 12 (Monday), Akhilesh sacked Mining Minister Gayatri Prasad Prajapati and Panchayati Raj Minister Raj Kishor Singh.
- Akhilesh, on Tuesday, removed Chief Secretary Deepak Singhal and posted Rahul Bhatnagar as the new CS.
- Hours after Akhilesh’s step, Mulayam appointed Shivpal as the Samajwadi Party State President by Mulayam replacing Akhilesh Yadav.
- After this Akhilesh, in an unexpected manner, stripped his uncle Shivpal of important portfolios of PWD and irrigation and handed him less important portfolios.
- Slked over the decision, Shivpal proceeds to his native place in Etawah from where he goes to Delhi to meet Mulaym there.
- After two days, all the leaders return to Lucknow while Mulayam anchors the damage control.
The ball now lies in the court of SP Supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav who emerged as the sole trouble shooter for the party. Despite the obvious differences between Ram Gopal and Shivpal, Shivpal and Akhilesh, all of them reposed faith in the unchallenged patriarchy of Mulayam. In fact, all of them appeared to one common view that whatever Mulayam will say will be acceptable to everyone.