Did you know 'abortion is legal'? Check out these 5 facts
Lucknow: While many of us are under impression that abortion in India is a crime, It is the right of every women to know that the activity is legal, given, it should be done under valid reason.
Check out these facts every girl should know about abortion:
Law governing abortion issues:
- India has legalised the abortion for almost 50 years under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, 1971.
- Termination of pregnancy upto 20 weeks after conception is only legal in our country.
- There are certain valid conditions in our law under which the abortion in considered legal.
When is abortion legal?
- If the continuation of the pregnancy poses a risk to a woman's life or can adversely affect her physical or mental health.
- If there are some abnormalities a fetus is suffering from.
- If it is an unplanned pregnancy which means it occurred due to contraceptive failure. But, this reason is valid only for the married women.
- If the pregnancy is a result of rape.
Not a right of every woman:
- Abortions are provided solely after the final say of the doctors. Not every woman can exercise the right of aborting child.
- In first trimester (12 weeks), on doctor needs to sign off and agree for the abortion while in the second trimester (between 12-20 weeks) two doctors are needed to sign off.
Husband or family's consent is not required:
- A doctor only needs the consent of the woman for abortion. No one else's permission is needed, not even of the family or the husband.
Right to privacy applies to abortion:
- "A woman’s freedom of choice whether to bear a child or abort her pregnancy are areas which fall in the realm of privacy," the Supreme Court had stated in a landmark judgement regarding to 'Right to privacy' in 2017.
- According to this decision, what women chose to do with their body is their decision and theirs alone.