Vodafone-Idea merger complete, becomes operational
New Delhi: The merger of Vodafone India and Idea Cellular is complete after the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) approved the merger, creating India's largest telecom operator with over 400 million subscribers, a joint statement by the two companies said on Friday.
The clearance from the tribunal was the last leg of official approvals after the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) cleared the merger last month.
"Idea Cellular (renamed as 'Vodafone Idea Limited'), an Aditya Birla Group and Vodafone Group partnership, becomes operational as India's leading telecom service provider with a subscriber base of over 408 million," the statement said on Friday.
The new Board of Directors constituted for Vodafone Idea comprises 12 Directors, including six "independent Directors", with Kumar Mangalam Birla as the Chairman. The Board has appointed Balesh Sharma as the CEO, it said.
The new company will have a market share of 32.2 per cent, as per the statement.
"The merger is expected to generate Rs 140 billion annual synergy, including opex synergies of Rs 84 billion, equivalent to a net present value of approximately Rs 700 billion," it said.
Vodafone Group owns a 45.2 per cent stake and Aditya Birla Group owns a 26 per cent stake, both on fully diluted basis.
- Monkeypox virus disease outbreak: New cases 'only tip of iceberg' but no urgent need for mass vaccinations, says WHO
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah actress Disha Vakani aka Daya ben blessed with a baby boy
- Don't make them dirty: Kejriwal's appeal as he flags off 150 e-buses for Delhi
- 'Tears in my eyes': Kejriwal lauds Punjab CM for sacking 'corrupt' minister
- Traders protest against removal of encroachment near Shri Krishna Janmabhoomi in Mathura
- Amidst pressure from China, Quad leaders meeting in Tokyo; America, Japan, Australia and India are participating
- Rules bar worship at 'non-living places', says govt over namaz at Qutub Minar
- Sensex opens 88 points above in early deals, trades at 54,376; Nifty above 16,240-mark
- Box Office: Yash starrer KGF 2 breaks existing records of Kannada films in Canada
- Meet the Top Teachers of the World: Super 30's Anand Kumar and Mathematics Guru RK Srivastava