PM Modi inaugurates project commencement of Barmer refinery
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the commencement of the work of an oil refinery in Rajasthan's Barmer district on Tuesday and also address a public rally there.
"The Rajasthan refinery will be the first in the state, which is blessed with immense oil and gas reserves. This refinery will benefit Rajasthan, especially the industrious youth of the state," he said.
He also addressed a public gathering after the inauguration.
Here is what he said:
- A few days back India marked Makar Sankranti with great fervour. This festive season is the harbinger of prosperity. Immediately after the festivities, I am delighted to be in Rajasthan that too for a project that will bring happiness and prosperity in the lives of many.
- I congratulate CM Vasundhara Raje and Minister Dharmendra Pradhan for organising this programme in Barmer.
- This is a time for 'Sankalp Se Siddhi.' We have to identify our targets and work towards achieving them by 2022, when we mark 75 years of freedom.
- From here in Barmer, I want to remember Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Ji. He was a great man, who worked towards modernising Rajasthan. He had the vision of a refinery in Barmer.
- From here in Barmer, I pray for the speedy recovery of the son of this soil, the respected Jaswant Singh Ji. His contribution towards our nation is immense.
- The manner in which Vasundhara Ji has managed drought situations during both her terms, and helped people is commendable. It is in contrast to the opposition in the state, whose poor drought management in Rajasthan is widely known.
- Some people mislead citizens often. Their misleading the nation on Barmer refinery is not the exception, it is a norm when it comes to them. There are several such areas in which they have been misleading the nation for years.
- When we assumed office, one of the first things we did was to see what work has been done on promises in the Railway Budget. Just for a few claps in Parliament, some people made promises they could never keep. We were determined to end that culture of misleading.
The project, a Joint Venture of Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. and Rajasthan government, is worth over Rs 43,000 crore.
The foundation stone for the refinery was laid by then Congress President Sonia Gandhi on September 22, 2013.