Senior BJP leader Vinay Katiyar detained in Kanpur
Kanpur: Uttar Pradesh police prevented Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) senior leader Vinay Katiyar on Monday from entering tense Jahanabad town in adjacent Fatehpur district of Uttar Pradesh.
Irked by his detention by Kanpur district administration, Katiyar said, he said his visit would have helped diffusing the tension. He was kept at Kanpur Circuit house in heavy security and was later released on an undertaking that he would not visit Fatehpur.
* District administration detained him in the view to avoid unrest in the area.
* Communal scuffle had taken place in Jahanabad town on January 14 last during a religious procession.
* The procession was also attended by VHP leader Praveen Togadia.
* Several houses, shops and vehicles were set afire in the incident.
* Many BJP leaders were reaching Circuit House.
* Katiyar has flayed the UP government for this action.