Exclusive: Amar Singh name missing in SP RS candidates list
Lucknow: Former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh has missed the bus for the Rajya Sabha following his strong opposition within the party which surfaced again in the meeting of Samajwadi Party Parliamentary Board on Tuesday.
While the Party chief has been authorised to decide on the candidates for 11 Rajya Sabha and 13 Legislative Council seats in Uttar Pradesh beside UP assembly polls 2017,the meeting finalised the list of eight candidates for the Rajya Sabha as per the information available with the newztrack.com.
The eight names decided on by the party in parliamentary Board meeting included UP assembly speaker Mata Prasad Pandey, former party heavyweight Beni Prasad Verma, Samajwadi leader Bhagwati Singh, Reoti Raman Singh, Maya Prasad, Sukhram Yadav , Vishmabhar Prasad and builder Sanjay Seth. Of these, Vishmabhar Prasad is being sent to RS again while the only debatable name is of sanjay Seth whose name was earlier turned down by the Governor Ram Naik for Vidhan Parishad.
Apart from party President and Chairman of the Board Mulayam Singh Yadav,Chief Minister and state SP Chief Akhilesh Yadav, SP General Secretary Ram Gopal Yadav and Kironmoy Nanda and senior party leaders and ministers Shiv Pal Singh Yadav and Mohd Azam Khan also attended the meeting here at the party headquarters.
Ram Gopal and Azam opposed Amar:
- The senior party leaders Ram Gopal Yadav and Mohd Azam Khan did not seem convinced over Amar Singh ‘s name for rajya Sabha, according to sources.
- It means chances of former SP leader Amar Singh getting RS berth looked bleak at the moment.
- Both the leaders had never shy of being critical of Aamr Singh publicly.
- Sources said that CM Akhilesh maintained a neutral position on the issue.
- The Board has authorised Mulayam Singh Yadav as the Party chief to take final decision in selection of candidates for RS and Council.
- He will soon issue a list of candidates, the SP leaders said.
Youths to get preference in Council:
- The meeting decided to give preference to party’s youth brigade leaders for Vidhan Parishad seats.
- The CM was asked to furnish names to Mulayam Singh Yadav for final nod.
The SP candidates chances in RS and Council:
- As per the party’s strength, the SP is in position to win seven Rajya Sabha and eight Legislative Council seats.
- The meeting ,though, discussed long list of candidates for these seats.
Names also discussed for Rajya Sabha:
- Senior leader Ramji Lal Suman.
- Cabinet Minister Balram Yadav.
- Former Governor Aziz Qureshi
- Former MP Shafikur Rahman