Devotees throng ghats to take holy dip on Makar Sakranti
Allahabad, Over 25 Lakhs of devotees from all over the world today took a holy dip at different ghats of Triveni Sangam in Allahabad on the auspicious occasions of Makar Sankranti. Bathing on the most sacred day started in the wee hours at the banks of pious river Ganga, Yamuna and invisible Saraswati.
The district administration has made elaborate arrangements for the commencement of the one-month-long Magh Mela, the annual religious fair held in Allahabad. About 25-30 lakh devotees are expected to take holy dip on the day today to wash away their sins as per Hindu beliefs.
Stringent Security arrangements:
- Districts authorities have made elaborate security measures to avoid any untoward incident.
- CCTVs have also been installed to keep a tight vigil in the magh mela area.
- Police force has been deployed at all the required places.
- Vigil is been kept on each and every person entering mela area.
Magh Mela, an annual feature
- Magh Mela is held every year when Sun enters the Makar Sakranti.
- It continues for more than a month.
- Six important baths are held during the Magh Mela.
- Lakhs of devotees throng the ghats to take holy dip
- Every six year of Magh mela marks Ardh Kumbh and in the 12th year it is celebrated as Kumbh mela.
- The fair concludes after Shivratri festival.
- Commencement of Magh Mela also marks the start of good days and end of Kharmaas.