Congress plans road shows of Priyanka to revive its fortune
The party members had decided to make Gandhi as the CM face in the next assembly polls but had to change their decision as the party president Sonia Gandhi disagreed on the issue, said a congress leader
New Delhi: After a month long Kisan Yatra of Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, the party has planned road shows of his sister Priyanka Gandhi starting from Allahabad next month. Rahul’s Kisan Yatra culminates with a road show from Deoria to Delhi on Thursday while after a gap, the party has strategised to bring as a Priyanka to boost the beleaguered Congress in Uttar Pradesh ahead of assembly polls, the internal party sources told 'newstrack.com.
According to a senior party member, Congress’s poll strategist Prashant Kishor was always keen to bring Priyanka in Uttar Pradesh to attract women and youth voters of the state. It was pre-decided that Priyanka would start the campaign for the party once Rahul’s road-show was over, the party leader said.
Final schedule being planned out:
- Team PK has planned out the entire schedule for the campaign and the final discussion has been made regarding the key issues to be taken up in this road show, the Congress leader stated.
- The party members said that the main focus will be on a major issue of women security in the state. Issues regarding law and order in UP would also be taken up in the rally, said a party member.
Priyanka had been the choice for UP CM face:
- It may be mentioned that Congress had earlier decided to present Priyanka as the Chief Ministerial candidate in Uttar Pradesh.
- The party members had decided to make Gandhi as the CM face in the next assembly polls but had to change their decision as the party president Sonia Gandhi disagreed on the issue, said a congress leader.
- The party leaders said that Priyanka herself did not want to take up such responsibility.
- The party has announced Shiela Dixit to be the face of Congress in the 2017 elections in UP.
Priyanka has the capability to attract majority votes for the party:
- Priyanka’s interaction with the UPiites will be huge help to the party to attract the young and women voters as the lady does not possess the image of a politician, a senior party leader said.
- “Women of UP are highly inspired by the granddaughter of Indira Gandhi and her interaction with the youth will assure us of majority votes in the state,” he stated.
You may also read: Rahul’s Kisan Yatra rally panics District committee authorities
Priyanka had been campaigning in the Lok Sabha elections but remained confined to the parliamentary constituencies of Rae Bareli and Amethi in UP, represented by her mother and the Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Her brother and party Vice President Rahul Gandhi respectively. The demands of the party workers in UP to pitch her in the active politics gained momentum when any election approached.