Ram adds up to BR Ambedkar's name in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: The change of names of monuments, roads and towns is a passé in Uttar Pradesh. In a decision which is sure to upset some dalit political entities, the Uttar Pradesh government has decided to change the very name of none other than one of architects of Indian Constitution BR Ambedkar.
The government has decided to add Ramji in his middle name on the lines in Maharashtra where the name of father is added to one's name. He will now be known as Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar with necessary instructions being issued to change accordingly in official records in the state.
This change had also been espoused through a campaign by UP Governor Ram Naik, a Maharashtrian himself, who also wrote a letter to the Prime Minister Narendra Modi. In the letter , he quoted the instance where Ambedkar had signed as Bhimrao Ramji.
BJP MP opposes the move
- The first voice of discontent comes from within the Bharatiya Janata Party.
- BJP MP Udit Raj, a dalit by caste, did not like the move
- He says it will give rise to unnecessary controversy
You may also Read: Modi govt should renamed as ‘paper leak government’: Congress
Baba Sahab's timeline
- Bhimrao Ambedkar was originally a Brahmin
- He was born on April 14, 1891 in a small village of Madhya Pradesh
- His father's name was Ramji Maloji Sakpal while name of his mpother was Bhimabai
- He was 14th child of his parents and had doctorate degree from abroad
- He came back to India in 1926 and was elected to Mumbai Vidhan Sabha
- BR Ambedkar was member of constitution draft committee and was first law minister of independent India
- During his active political life, he raised flags against various social evils like untouchability, dalit discrimination and gender inequality
- Baba sahab embraced Baudh religion in 1956, the year he died
- He was conferred with 'Bharat Ratna' posthumously in 1990