Hyd company claims of developing vaccines against Zika virus
Hyderabad: A Hyderabad based company claims to have developed 2 vaccines against the Zika virus. As the international research organizations are still involved on the initial research on virus, the Bharat Biotech International Limited in Hyderabad says it has patented the Zika vaccine.
Dr. Krishna Ella, Chairman and Managing Director, Bharat Biotech Limited said that "On Zika, we are probably the first vaccine company in the world to file a vaccine candidate patent about nine months ago."
About Zika vaccine-
- Bharat Biotech Limited reportedly imported Zika virus and developed two vaccines.
- Its CEO said that it will take time as animal and human trails are still to be conducted.
- The company asked the government and the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) to help them.
- The virus is known to circulate in Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific.
- Dr Ella said his company can make one million doses of the vaccine in four months.