Home Remedies to Reduce Gum Swelling
Lucknow: Gums play a major role not only in your dental health, but in your overall well-being. The problem of swollen gums can occur due to a variety of causes. Bleeding from your mouth can leave one with bad breath and make one feel very awkward.
- The swelling alone is often enough to make one feel uncomfortable throughout the day.
- Gum swelling can be due to gingivitis, infection, nutritional deficiencies, diabetes or pregnancy.
- When one thinks of dental health, it is mostly about preventing cavities. But it's equally important to pay attention to the gums.
- Gum swelling can cause the gums to become irritated, sensitive and even painful. The gums also may bleed easily while brushing or flossing.
- Proper oral hygiene and home remedies can provide relief. However, if the swelling in gums persists for more than two weeks, consult a dentist.
Here are top 5 home remedies to reduce gum swelling:
- Warm and Cold Compresses
Warm and cold compresses can provide quick relief by reducing pain and swelling in gums. Hold the compresses on the face but not directly on the swollen gums.
- Soak a clean cloth in warm water and wring out the excess liquid.
- Hold the cloth against the face for five minutes.
- Next, wrap a bag of frozen peas in a thin towel and hold it against the face until the area becomes slightly numb.
- Repeat the cycle two or three times.
- Salt Water
Salt is another effective remedy for swollen gums. It inhibits growth of bacteria in the mouth and prevents infections that may lead to several oral health issues.
- After brushing the teeth with a soft-bristle toothbrush, gently rub salt on the gums for a few seconds.
- Rinse it off with warm water. Do this once daily.
- After the gums are healthy again, do this three times a week to prevent recurrence.
- Another option is to add half to one teaspoon of salt to a glass of lukewarm water and use it to rinsing twice daily until the swelling subsides.
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide can also help reduce gum inflammation and pain. It can even help kill germs and fight oral problems. For oral health, use food grade, 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution only.
- Mix equal parts of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution and water. Swish the solution around gums and teeth for 30 seconds. Rinse it off with warm water.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with enough hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Rub this paste on the gums, wait for one minute and then rinse thoroughly with water.
- Use either of these treatments two or three times a week.
Turmeric is also a good home remedy for swollen gums. It contains curcumin, which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce pain, swelling and inflammation. In addition, it prevents the spread of bacterial activity that causes several oral problems.
- Mix half teaspoon of turmeric powder with a little water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the gums with a finger.
- Leave it on for five minutes, then massage gently for one minute.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Repeat twice daily for one to two weeks.
- Black Tea Bags
Black tea has tannin that can help reduce inflammation of the gums. In addition, its antioxidant properties promote good oral health.
- Soak a tea bag in boiling water for two to three minutes.Remove it and allow it to cool to a bearable temperature.
- Hold the tea bag on the affected area of the gums for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse mouth with warm salt-water solution.
- Repeat once daily for a few days.