Market Update: Key Indian equity indices open lower
Mumbai: Key Indian equity indices on Monday opened on a lower note as investors booked profits in metals, capital goods, oil and gas, and banking stocks.
At one point, the BSE Sensex dropped over 100 points.
Around 9.20 a.m., the barometer 30-scrip Sensitive Index (Sensex) of the BSE, which opened at 34,053.95 points, traded at 33,919.33 points -- down 91.43 points or 0.27 per cent from its previous close.
The BSE market breadth was bearish as 806 stocks declined as against 487 advances.
On the the National Stock Exchange, the wider Nifty50 edged lower by 47.15 points or 0.45 per cent to trade at 10,405.15 points.
On Friday, the equity indices closed in the negative territory as heavy selling pressure in banks, along with rising crude oil prices, dampened investors' risk-taking appetite.
The NSE Nifty50 declined by 93.20 points or 0.88 per cent to close at 10,452.30 points, while the BSE Sensex closed at 34,010.76 points -- down 286.71 points or 0.84 per cent.
- Monkeypox virus disease outbreak: New cases 'only tip of iceberg' but no urgent need for mass vaccinations, says WHO
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah actress Disha Vakani aka Daya ben blessed with a baby boy
- Don't make them dirty: Kejriwal's appeal as he flags off 150 e-buses for Delhi
- 'Tears in my eyes': Kejriwal lauds Punjab CM for sacking 'corrupt' minister
- Traders protest against removal of encroachment near Shri Krishna Janmabhoomi in Mathura
- Amidst pressure from China, Quad leaders meeting in Tokyo; America, Japan, Australia and India are participating
- Rules bar worship at 'non-living places', says govt over namaz at Qutub Minar
- Sensex opens 88 points above in early deals, trades at 54,376; Nifty above 16,240-mark
- Box Office: Yash starrer KGF 2 breaks existing records of Kannada films in Canada
- Meet the Top Teachers of the World: Super 30's Anand Kumar and Mathematics Guru RK Srivastava