Alert! Indoor air pollution may be hazardous
Lucknow: Everyone is conscious about outdoor air pollution but people ignore indoor air pollution which is more hazardous for life. Here we will tell you some of the top causes of indoor air pollution:
- Mould, pollen, mildew, and dust mites are tiny insects that lives in bed, curtains, furnitures and carpet etc
- Household products like cleaning agents, plastic products, ready-made furniture pieces and antimicrobial items containing pesticides and other carcinogenic chemicals.
- Pollution caused from vehicle and industries that enters indoor spaces.
- pollution released from solid fluids such as wood, charcoal, coal etc are burned for warmth or cooking.
- Gases like carbon monoxide and radon.
- Building materials like asbestos, formaldehyde and lead.
These indoor cause of pollution not only gives us respiratory conditions like asthma and allergies but can also cause cancer and heart disease.
Mould, pollens, dust mites, smoke etc can cause irritation in the eyes, nose, throat, headaches, dizziness and fatigue. People suffering from asthma and allergies are at more risk to suffer from these symptoms. According to the survey done on Indian children 30% of them suffers from respiratory conditions than others.
According to World Health Organisation, around 3.8 million premature deaths yearly are caused by non communicable diseases including stroke, lung cancer, ischemic heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease are attributed to exposure to household air pollution.
Air Conditioners makes the condition worst
Air conditioners traps the germs and pollutants within a room and circulate the same air all around again and again. As a result people fall sick.
Air purifiers also works for a limited time
Air purifiers used to suck out pollutants and improves the quality of air but they dont give 100% results. This is because particles vary in size. Large particles are easy to trap but the small particles are impossible to filter and the gaseous pollutants also can't be filtered .
It's not that air purifiers do not work at all it works but to the limited extent.