Uttar Pradesh govt rules out ban on liquor in state
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government on Wednesday ruled out the imposition of ban on liquor, citing public interest. In a written reply to MLA Sanjay Pratap Jaiswal in the assembly, the government said that prohibiting liquor will cause a hefty loss to the state exchequer.
What else the government said?
- Government gives license for the sale of liquor
- State government gets in return the fee from the license holder
- The sum collected is used in the development work for the state
- Liqour ban will indirectly promote the illicit liquor business
- This will motivate the consumer to get liquor through illegal practices
- This will lead to mass trouble in the state
It may be mentioned that a complete ban has been imposed on the sale and purchase of liquor in the Bihar. State Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, in his public rallies in Uttar Pradesh, is pitching for liquor ban in UP but ruling Samajwadi Party government is not in its favour.