UP Government submits heatwave prevention action plan in Allahabad HC
The action plan was submitted in response to the direction of the HC to the state government to apprise it with the actions taken in accordance with ‘Guidelines for preparation of Action Plan- Prevention and Management of Heat waves’ issued by National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
Allahabad: State government, on Thursday, filed a detail action plan, to the Allahabad High Court, to provide relief to the people from heatwave in this summer. Government also filed a CD containing slideshows of the action plan.
The action plan was submitted in response to the direction of the HC to the state government to apprise it with the actions taken in accordance with ‘Guidelines for preparation of Action Plan- Prevention and Management of Heat waves’ issued by National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA). Order regarding this was passed by the Bench comprising Chief Justice DB Bhosale and justice Yashwant Varma while hearing a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) filed by Akshay Mohiley, a resident of Allahabad.
The High Court has asked the petitioner to go through action plan prepared by state government and make suggestions, if anything thing else can be done for the benefit of public.
What was written in the petition:
- The summer had started but state government had not taken necessary steps to provide relief to the public from heat waves.
- In absence of such measures many will fell ill or die due to heat waves in the state.
What state government said:
- Necessary directions had been issued to the concerned officers and a fund of Rs 500 crores have been created for prevention and management of heat waves in state.
It could be mentioned that the state government has asked for 2 months time to prepare an action plan in accordance with the guidelines of the NDMA.
The HC, however, directed government to take quick action after which government prepared an action plan and filed it in court along with steps taken by the government in this regard.
About the heatwave guidelines:
- Heat Wave Guidelines aim to facilitate state governments and its various departments in preparing a Heat Wave Management Plan by providing insight into the heat related illness and response actions to be undertaken.
- It also helps in mobilization and coordination of various departments, individuals and communities to help and protect their neighbours, friends, relatives, and themselves against avoidable health problems during spells of very hot weather.