IMPACT: UP CM orders for immediate suspension of DIG
Lucknow: Taking immediate cognizance of media reports about Lucknow DIG slapping an old man, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Wednesday ordered for immediate suspension of the Devendra Kumar Chaudhary.
"#UPCM @yadavakhilesh orders the immediate suspension of DIG Lucknow for his delinquent behavior towards an elderly person," was the tweet of official handle of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
The Director General of Police (DGP) Javeed Ahmad has directed Additional Director General (ADG) of Police Daljit Chaudhary to conduct an inquiry and ask for the clarification from Devendra Kumar Chaudhary, Deputy Inspector General, Lucknow (range).
It came after the DIG was caught on camera slapping an elderly poor small vendor in the busy Bhootnath market of the state capital. Newztrack.com had posted a video of the incident which had taken place on Tuesday night.
The incident took place only a few days after the Director General of Police (DGP) Javeed Ahmed issued a circular on the advice of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to make 'people friendly' image of the police.
- The incident happened in Bhootnath market under Ghazipur police station on Tuesday night.
- The act of Lucknow (Range) was caught on camera.
- DIG Devendra Kumar Chaudhary had gone there for shopping.
- Annoyed over the encroachment, the officer in uniform slapped the roadside vendor despite he was winding up.
- Also present on the spot were circle officer (CO) of Ghazipur Dinesh Puri and station officer (SO) of Ghazipur police station Alok Mani Tripathi.
- The incident came few days after a circular was issued by the DGP to make police more 'people friendly'.
- In a similar incident few months ago, a lot of hue and cry was raised when a police sub-inspector had beaten up a typist in Lucknow.